Friday, October 1, 2010

Paradise, Projects, and Pizza

Thursdays are my husband's day off so we usually plan to work on some of our little "projects" or tackle things that we've been putting off.  Well, yesterday was all of that rolled into one and jacked up on steroids...figuratively, of course!

We started the day with a visit to our friendly trainer who seemingly takes great pleasure from putting middle-aged people through their paces (or pacemakers!)  I'm hoping he's certified in CPR...damn, should have checked that fact before signing on with him!  While I joke, though, I'm very pleased with the results he's getting from both of us and we're on target with our goals.  I'm bulking up while the hubby's bulking down so that's a very good thing.  From there, we moved on to our favorite new food joint for an early lunch overlooking the ocean while listening to Jimmy Buffett on the sound system.  Almost paradise!

On to a visit with the in-laws to check in and see if mom's having a good day.  Not too bad, considering that we're slowly losing her the the demon that is ALS.  She was fairly alert, had eaten a bit, and seemed to enjoy our banter but it's very hard to distinguish what's really going on.  Dad's hanging in there and getting more rest because he now has more help which is a blessing.

For the past few weeks I've been hinting to the hubby that I'd really like to get our Fall decorations out of storage so I could start decorating the house.  His response was he wasn't bringing one more item into "his" garage until we could park both of our cars in there.  After 23-years of marriage I'm familiar with the history here, so I really didn't hold much hope.  But, he's diligently been working on that project and we can now fit 2 cars into our 3-car garage!  So I thought I'd make my move again.  "Honey, can we now please get the Fall decorations?"  To which he responded, "Only if you help me clean out the storage unit(s)."  Fine...

OMG, where the hell did all this stuff come from?  I know we've been married for a long time and have accumulated a lot of "treasures" over the years, but seriously!!  There's no way to organize, decide what to throw away and what to keep, or just wrap the mind around, well, all of it, before we have to pick our son up from school.  Toted, hauled, & shifted things in a hurry and got my goal accomplished and loaded on board.  We grabbed our from school who was, of course, starving (!) so we stopped for a quick bite of sushi before heading home to unload the truck.  Boy, is that kid ever a fearless eater!

The real task began when we got home and I entered the "project zone" and kept finding things that needed to be done because the sun was still shining.  Let's clean off the back patio (the one that extends beyond the screened pool enclosure), which had really become The Land Where Grills Go To Die.  We had a huge old gas grill and a Webber charcoal one that we hadn't used in years and were providing low-rent housing for countless squatters.  We cleaned them up and dragged them to the garage. Mind you, this is the same garage my husband had just taken a bunch of stuff out of.  While we were at it I trimmed my herbs, pulled a bucket-load of weeds, cleaned up the butterfly garden which had gone to weed, went to battle with more spiders (and won), lost a battle with a cactus, remembered that I'm as crazy with a leaf blower as I am with a pressure washer, and moved a heavy granite-topped table...twice!  I think we wore a track in the grass between the garage and the backyard.

I finally made it to the inside of the house to begin the project that started this whole snowball effect, putting up the Fall decorations. I lasted about an hour before exhaustion and hunger took its toll.  Dinner?  I phoned it in, literally, and ordered a pizza from our favorite pizza place, Bizzarro's. What started as a little mom & pop pizza joint at the beach has blossomed into countless franchises throughout the county. This pizza can hold its own anywhere in the country. I have to chuckle when I think about each time we visit the original location because it's almost like visiting the "Soup Nazi" on the old Jerry Seinfeld show. Don't hesitate or you might find yourself being directed to the back of the line!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment