Monday, October 18, 2010

Comfort Food

Since much of my time lately has been spent on trying to comfort others through my food, I put this question out there on my Facebook and Twitter accounts: What is your "go to" comfort food?  Without a doubt, most people tend to revert back to their childhood food memories: Homemade chicken and dumplin's, homemade mac & cheese, momma's biscuits and gravy, grandma's stuffing, rigatoni made the same way dad and pop-pop did it. etc.  What I found very interesting were the regional offerings, those items not necessarily based upon childhood recall but built upon where they are currently based.  I like the idea of adopting the area one now lives in and embracing the comforts it has to offer.  Living in Florida?  You're all about the seafood. Living in the Cincinnati area?  It's Skyline Chili for you; however many "ways" you want it.  Of course, there were the shout outs for chocolate, ice cream, and cookie dough!

As for me?  Peanut butter comes into play as I plowed through a whole jar of it when my first "love" broke my heart about 30 (!) years ago.  Oh, the tragedy!  Ah, young love/ignorance.  When I need comfort food these days, I guess I turn to my mom's fried chicken.  Again, we're all running back home to childhood memories...guilty!  That would taste really good right now!

Thank goodness I'm heading back to visit our trainer tomorrow after about a 3-week hiatus.  Oral surgery, shaking off a "bug," and losing my mother-in-law has really put a downer on my workout schedule. Ugh, I feel like a slug!  It's time to get back on track.  Enough comfort food!

1 comment:

  1. A delicious comfort food: Paula Deen's Crock Pot Mac N Cheese!
    ....found it on the Food Network site--lots of yummmy recipes there btw.
    It's easy too-- drop it all in the crockpot, set it and forget it :) Make it up with that fried chicken you're talking about and you'll be in love....and have the time to shave your legs! ;-)

    ReplyDelete