Sunday, October 17, 2010

Beef (and Broccoli)...It's What's for Dinner


On Friday I broke down and laid out the cash to replace the arsenal of cookware in my kitchen.  It was a move that was well overdue since what I'd been using was approaching the twenty-year mark.  Man, good cookware is very expensive!  You can imagine my excitement at the prospect of breaking it in!  So, with family in town for the weekend, I invited everyone over for dinner the next night.  My sister-in-law agreed as long as I didn't cook any of that "fancy stuff."  I said I'd cook whatever they wanted.  My goodness, they started tossing suggestions my way so fast I felt like I was watching a Wimbledon match with my head swiveling back and forth to catch every volley!  Mashed potatoes & gravy!  Turkey and dressing!  Corn!  Biscuits! Cranberries??  Okay, okay, I get it!  You want a Thanksgiving dinner about 6-weeks in advance.  I finally talked them around to chicken stuffed with rosemary, garlic, and lemon and cooked on the rotisserie spit either in my oven or on my grill. 

I awoke yesterday morning to a beautiful and cool beginning of my day.  I grabbed the newspaper, made myself a cappuccino, and ventured out to the backyard with the dog in tow.  I hook the dog up on her very long lead, take a seat in my chaise lounge with caffeine in hand and prepare to spoil my mind with the day's news.  Ah, the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, the breeze is refreshingly cool, and the damn dog has wrapped herself around not one, but two chairs in about five minutes!  It must have been hilarious to watch me try to use hand signals to get her to unwrap herself.  Okay, Casey...focus!  Go around ..no, not that way, the other way!  Back up and try again!  Over and over...ad nauseum.  I love her but that dog really needs a helmet!

With the morning a wash, I figured I'd go ahead and visit the grocery store and pick up the "few" items I'd need for dinner.  Oooh, buy one - get one free (BOGO) on wine!  Load me up!  All was well until I strolled confidently over to the meat department looking for a sizable roasting chicken.  They had nothing but Calista Flockhart-looking offerings when I was looking more for a Dolly Parton-type.  No worries, I had a Plan B in mind.  I head over to my local gourmet/butcher shop, grab a number and pour myself a free beer.  Hey, don't judge me, there were ten other people ahead of me!  Finally, my number comes up and I ask if they have any plump roasting chickens.  Sadly, no, they do not.  Switch to Plan C...steaks!  I'll take five of the natural rib-eyes, please.  We won't even talk about the cost difference here.  One nice surprise that came out of this was my favorite guy behind the meat counter called me over and said he had a gift for me. I walk over and he hands me a huge package of ham ends and asks if I can make pea and ham soup.  Oh, now I get it!  I get free meat if I'll make him some soup.  Deal!  Since he's British, I may ask my British chef friend if there's a particular way they like their pea soup "across the pond."

I got home and decided that the only change from the "requested" menu was the protein. Why eat chicken when you can eat steak instead?  I certainly got no complaints!  Rib-eyes seasoned and seared to perfection, cheesy mashed potatoes, steamed corn, and broccoli casserole. Years ago I introduced this broccoli casserole recipe into my repertoire of side dishes and it was an instant hit with the ladies in the family who insisted it be included in every holiday dinner.  I thought it would be a good idea to make it for my sister-in-law, even though it wasn't a holiday.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that when she pulled out of the driveway this morning to drive back to Georgia, she had the leftovers I gave her safely strapped in with a seat belt!

In honor of all the women in my family, I happily share the recipe with you!  It's simply one of those "back of the box" recipes that really work.  Enjoy!

Broccoli Cheese Casserole
2 packages frozen chopped broccoli
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 tablespoons chopped onions
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup VIGO golden toasted breadcrumbs
1/2 stick butter

Broil frozen broccoli for 5 minutes and drain well. Beat eggs, stir in mayonnaise, soup, onions, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Fold in cooked broccoli. Place entire mixture in casserole dish. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
Breadcrumb topping: in small skillet melt butter; add breadcrumbs and stir until golden. After removing casserole from oven cover with bread crumb topping and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment