Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sad Sunday

Most of the time on my blog posts I try to insert a bit of humor along with my food finds but today is just not one of those days.  I've literally been in tears for the past three days as I watch my mother-in-law waste away. We've never been that close and I feel there has always been a bit of competition between us.  She was always the one to handle holiday get-togethers, then I came along and seemed to trump her. After 20 + years we'd made peace with that.  It's so very difficult to see my husband lose his mother, yet his love for her just resonates when he's with her and provides a calming effect, beautiful and sad at the same time.  Today my son went to visit her for, perhaps, the last time.  My guys, being guys, are very stoic when dealing with this situation and I feel like I'm channelling all of their emotions.  They don't want to talk about it and I can't help but sob so we're at an impasse.

It doesn't help that I'm recovering from oral surgery and look a bit like a chipmunk hording acorns for the winter in one cheek and my immune system is a bit challenged, thus a sore throat and swollen glands are just a bonus.  I'm just feeling a bit beat up.  Whah!  Can I get some cheese with that whine?

Thanks for listening, my friends.

 Look at the love and pride in those eyes!

1 comment: