Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend Update

Does the title of this blog post remind anyone else of Saturday Night Live or is it just me?  I feel a Chevy Chase pratfall coming on! 

Anyway, let's start with Friday night and an impromptu high school reunion with about a dozen classmates.  Being the first to arrive, the hubby and I had time to check out our friends' band who was playing just outside our designated meeting place at the Historic Downtown Fall Festival.  It was very difficult to pull ourselves away from the music and go back to the restaurant where we were to meet.  This band (Mo Geetz) totally rocks and it just blows my socks off to know that their guitarist - an aging, raspy-voiced veteran - is my son's guitar instructor.  That man can really lay it down!  But, I had a great time reconnecting with friends I hadn't seen in a while.  We definitely need to do this more often and get more friends involved.
Moving on to Saturday.  My son's girlfriend came over and they began their assignment of doing homework together.  Sorry, but if you want to hang out and homework is due, then you can work side-by-side and get it done.  When it was time for lunch, I took the opportunity to introduce them the my new favorite diner, Sun on the Beach.  They had the hardest time making a choice.  "If you order grits and I order home-fries then we can share."  "Wait, we need crepes and fried-green-tomatoes, too."  They were just too cute!  At around 4 PM we transferred the kids to her house because we were meeting friends for a 3-hour sunset cruise. 
The group of friends who went on this three-hour tour are people I work on a celebrity/charity golf tournament with.  We each spend dozens of hours a year raising awareness and funds for a worthwhile cause, but never really pause to do something for ourselves.  When the sunset cruise came up for auction last January at the charity event, we decided to go in as a group and bid on it.  Too bad it took us until October to get all of our schedules straight and find a day when we were all available!  It was a gorgeous day cruising down Cocoa Beach with a rainbow on the horizon, dolphins frolicking alongside, and the promised sunset melting into the Atlantic.
Sunday was spent in my favorite place - my kitchen.  I marinated a boneless leg of lamb and made hummus, tabbouleh, and tzatziki sauce because gyros were on the menu.  Note to self:  Don't put a leg of lamb on the grill, shut the lid, then get distracted by chatting with your son's friends who stopped by to visit.  I ran out to the grill to find flames practically shooting out of it!  That poor lamb looked like a meteor.  Fortunately, I just flipped it over and got a nice char on the other side, then transferred it to the oven to finish cooking.  Whew!  Disaster diverted...pass the ouzo.
Opa!

No comments:

Post a Comment