Friday, September 24, 2010

Rainy Nights and Risotto

As I was sitting in the parking lot of my son's school today waiting for him to finish a make-up chemistry test while watching the rain come down, I was trying to find some inspiration for dinner tonight.  I certainly didn't want to make the downpour dash into the grocery store for ingredients, so I was thinking this would be a good night for some "pantry cooking."  Take what you have on hand and make it work.  Fortunately, I recently discovered a great iPhone app for foodies - Epicurious.  I've been a long time fan of them online, but I'm still getting used to the whole "world at my finger-tips" thing.  While perusing the plethra of options, I came across a recipe for risotto with shrimp, asparagus, and a hint of lemon.  Bingo!  I had all of those things already in my kitchen.

My son had plans with friends this evening but still had time for a home-cooked meal, so I was hustling to get it all together and feed my family in very restricted time constraints.  Ah, let the juggling act begin!  Husband gets home, son plans to leave, stir that risotto like your life depends upon it!  For those who have never made risotto, it's one of those quick meals that requires constant attention and needs to be served immediately.  But the good news is that you can prep and prepare it from start to finish in about 30 minutes.  Allow about 10 minutes of prep-time an about 18 minutes of cooking and constant attention.  Well worth the effort!

As it turned out, the son's plans got cancelled and I was able to slow things down a bit and make it an enjoyable meal that we could sit down at the table and enjoy together.  I love taking a recipe, using it as a guideline, then tweaking it to make it my own.  BTW, they loved it!

 Lemony Risotto with Asparagus and Shrimp
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan
Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Add asparagus and simmer, uncovered, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer asparagus with a slotted spoon to an ice bath to stop cooking, then drain. Keep broth at a bare simmer, covered.
Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until absorbed.
Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture and briskly simmer, stirring frequently, until absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is creamy and tender but still al dente (it should be the consistency of a thick soup), about 18 minutes. (There will be leftover broth mixture.)
Stir in shrimp and cook until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in asparagus, zest, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, parmesan, and pepper to taste. (Thin risotto with some of remaining broth if necessary.)  

I included the juice of the lemon along with the zest of another as a garnish and it made all the difference.  Freshness that added an additional burst of flavor to the recipe!

Enjoy and please contct me with any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment