Monday, March 14, 2011

I'm re-reading chef/author/traveler Anthony Bourdain's latest book, "Medium Raw," and just finished the chapter where he bashes the fast food industry and their blatant recruitment of our nation's children.  This made me pause and think about my own role in shaping my child's food choices.  Thankfully, I'm an unashamed foodie and had introduced him to the more exotic ingredients early in life.  Yes, I've created a bit of a food snob!  That's not to say that he hasn't had a Happy Meal or three in his lifetime (I'm human, after all), but I love the fact that he really stays away from anything with a drive-thru...that just can't be good for you. 

This young man (now 17) is definitely a Culinary Adventurer! He tried raw octopus at the tender age of four.  He's eaten live termites in Mexico and practically swoons over the very thought of escargot, caviar, and foie gras. He goes into a sushi restaurant and tells the chef to make whatever he wants him to eat. Wow, very brave! 

We've been blessed enough to have some amazing culinary journeys and befriend some of our nation's greatest chefs.  While I'm glad that I've instilled the love of good, quality food in him, I also encourage him to get a good education so he can enjoy all this when mom & dad stop paying the bills!

So proud of my boy for not conforming to society's "norms!"

No comments:

Post a Comment